HOW TO START A BLOG IN 2018
Are you looking for a free, easy, step by step tutorial on how to start a blog? Well you landed at the right place. In this article I will show, exactly how to create start and run a successful blog (remember no technical experience is required). it’s easy and fast, plus I will answer any question asked long the way, (on the comment section).
”Post Based on Tracy’s question, How to start and run a blog?”
There four steps on how to start a blog so let’s dive in to it.
4 Easy steps on how to start a blog
- Decide what to blog about
- Register domain name
- Purchase a hosting plan
- Get started with wordpress
So first of all ,what is a blog anyway?
In a formal definition, a blog is a type of website that focuses mainly on written content also known as blog post, examples we often hear about are, news blogs or celebrity blog sites.
However according to my definition blogging is way to express “you”, in a unique way and help others solve their problems.
Steps on how to start a blog in 2018
Here are my easy to- follow- steps that I put down for you to kick start your blog.
Step 1: Decide on what to blog about (Niche)
If you’re an individual, there is more room and flexibility on choosing a topic or niche to talk about. Although if you’re having problems on finding a good blog topic. Here are few ways to find a good niche for your blog:
- Revise on hobbies and passion: have jam starting questions on what are your interests, hobbies or even what you’re passionate about. Its more existing and satisfying to write on what you love most. If you aren’t excited about the topic you blog about, writing it will be drudgery. Who wants that?
- Check on your past life experiences: Everyone has gone through failures, lessons learnt from failures and probably ways to excellence. Sharing this kind of knowledge can be incredibly helpful to others in similar situations.
- Check on topic (niche) with plenty of room for discussion: a blog require lot of content to get going and remain interesting. A topic my also define and determine the longevity of your blog. Always go for niches that will not be covered in one or two articles.
You will be here for longtime so make sure you have plenty to talk about.
Once you have a topic it’s time to choose your blog name.
Good blog name should be wholly descriptive, so potential readers can instantly tell what your blog is all about, just from the name.
If you are planning to create a personal blog, where you discuss a whole bunch of different topics then I recommend using your name, like iTracy
Steps 2: Register a Domain and Hosting.
A domain is a web address that is unique to every other site on internet; an example “infotrackme.com” is my domain name.
How to choose a domain name
Choosing a domain is one of the most crucial step on blogging. It’s important to choose a domain name which carries the following qualities:
- Easy to remember: don’t choose nonsense name, something hard to spell or a long name full of dashes (best-bussiness-ideas-in-the-world.com) will never stick in anyone’s head, but something like (www.bussinessideas.com) follow just right.
- Unique and descriptive: similar to choosing a perfect blog name picking on a domain that best describes your blog is the best idea.
Free tip:”let your blog name and the domain match”. Blog name iTracy, domain www.itracy .com
- Trust worthy: domain extensions like “.com,.org,.net,.co.ke” are the most popular. I recommend (.com) being the most preferable to many bloggers for it’s the one people think of first. Avoid crazy extensions like (.rocks,.biz,.money) as they are less commonly used.
Find the best hosting company
Once you’ve found your perfect domain name its time to make your blog live.
In order for your blog to be online and accessible to anyone, you need a sever space.(you get a sever space from hosting companies)
There are many different hosting companies offering same services but different features so it might be difficult to choose which one is the best. I recommend only 5 hosting companies depending on your country, which are:
- Host gator
- Blue Host
- Kenya web experts
Choosing your blog hosting plan
While choosing your hosting plan there are features to look for before purchasing a web host.
- Disk space minimum of 20GB
- Unlimited email accounts
- Unlimited sub domains
- An optimum bandwidth size
How to Buy a domain and a hosting plan.
Domain: once you decided on a domain name and extension the next step is to search for the availability of your domain.
you can search for you domain below the article.
Select your plan. I recommend that new bloggers to get the basic plan or the hatchling plan. Click select to choose your plan.
Fill in your billing detail on the registration page and create new account.
Log in to your new account and install wordpress.
Immediately your billing transactions are successful you should get a confirmation email when your account is ready for use.
The email will contain all the required details to startup your blog. Like:
- Link to your cpanel
- User name and password (log in credentials)
- Server address
Click on the cpanel link and you will be redirected to your control panel account, login using your user name and password provided in the email.
- At the top, click get “started with wordpress today”
- If wordpress isn’t there for some reason, scroll down a little bit on the control panel and click on quick install under the software and service section. Look at the top of the page in the left sidebar section for wordpress.
- Once clicked, you should immediately see a screen where you’re offered to import or install wordpress , click install to get to the next step.
- When you are done installing you will eventually see loading bar at the top of your page that will inform you that your wordpress blog has been installed.
Log in and check your new blog.
Once the installation is complete an email sharing your login information, including an admin url will be sent.( in case you missed the notification bar)
To log in into your blog, click the admin URL. Which is www.yourblog.com. Where “your blog” is your domain name.
TaDa. You now own a blog with wordpress.
See if your domain is available
If your blog name is available all you need is to purchase and register your domain to web hosting companies (web host also sell domain names)
Type in your domain name and check if its available.